The smart watch the fastest-growing device in the wearables industry, and Samsung Gear is at the forefront of ensuring that consumers’ smart watch needs are met. We have eight watch models with unique designs and special editions, including our Gear S2 and Gear S3 devices and watch faces and our Gear Fit and Gear Fit 2 fitness trackers.
Samsung Gear devices run on the Tizen Operating system. In 2017, Tizen was the second-largest wearable platform, with a 19% market share. With the global wearable market forecast to grow 34% in 2017, the Gear S2 and Gear S3 devices, both of which run on Tizen, are forecast to have a combined installed base of almost 7 million by the end of 2017.
Here are some popular Gear watch faces:
Popular Preloaded Watch Faces
- Demographics: 80% male, age 20s to 40s
- Number of downloads per device in the first 6 months of ownership: 8 or more apps, 80% of which are watch faces
- Top 3 markets: USA, Korea, Germany
Opportunities and Benefits for Developers
App developers receive a standard revenue share of 70% from all apps. Samsung supports various payment methods, including Samsung Pay, credit card, carrier billing, and PayPal, in more than 90 countries.
Samsung boasts a global distribution channel of more than 750,000 retail locations and 30,000 experience stores and has increased marketing support because of the rise of consumer interest in our Gear devices. In addition to our regional websites, we have 162+ million fans across various social media platforms, and we anticipate continued, steady growth as we add new, different, and desirable devices.
The technical support team is available to help you when you join the Samsung Developer Program (SDP). Our technical support team is located in Mountain View, CA, and is available to answer your questions about the development, registration, and distribution process. Click the Join Now button on the bottom of this page to join SDP.
Gear device features include:
- Unique and personalized watch faces
- Full-color always-on display
- Water resistant
- Long-lasting battery
- Stylish and changeable bands
- Simple SOS messaging for safety
- Speaker: allows you to make and receive calls freely from your wrist and listen to your favorite songs and podcasts through the standalone music player.
Gear devices have many sensors to allow users to determine their up-to-the-minute health, fitness, and fitness environmental information:
- Ambient light sensor
- Gyro sensor
- Heart rate monitor
Gear In-App Items
Your Gear watch face app, whether the app itself is free or paid-for, can sell commercial in-app items to users:
- Consumable items (purchase whenever needed, use once)
- Non-consumable items (purchase once, use any number of times)
- Non-recurring subscription items (purchase whenever needed, use for the length of the subscription)
- Auto-recurring subscription items (purchase one time, use for the length of the subscription and all automatically renewed subscriptions)
You can integrate Samsung Gear In-App Purchase (Gear IAP) functionality to have Samsung manage the in-app item purchase transactions by directly integrating Gear IAP APIs in your app code (see Gear In-App Purchase Items).